Online SPSS Tutorials
Where to learn general and specific topics on SPSS online
- Tutorials on this site
- SPSS Statistics Guides
- General Online SPSS Tutorials
- Specialized SPSS Tutorials or Technical Papers
- Other sources of SPSS syntax or scripts
Tutorials on this site
Syntax and macros tutorials
Papers on this site
Weighting (rev. 12 March 2007) by Hector Maletta, Universidad del Salvador (Thanks Hector!)
This paper deals with weighting, its function in statistical analysis and its use in SPSS. Here is the Russian version of Hector's paper translated by Anton Balabanov, the editor of the www.spsstools.ru.
Forest biometrical models for SPSS by Kitikidou Kyriaki of the University of Thrace, Greece.
Abstract. Regression equations that predict important forest variables (total tree height, breast height diameter, form factor, form height, total volume, tree diameter at any height) are very useful in forest biometry applications. In this paper, we attempt to collect several equations for the prediction of the variables mentioned above and write seven programs for the SPSS statistical package (version 7.0 or later), so researchers could easily run them and select the best models for the region and the tree specie of their interest.
Download the Related syntax data file and output files.
SPSS Statistics Guides
For 3 excellent SPSS Statistics Guides see Marija Norusis Site.
General online SPSS Tutorials
SPSS On-Line Training Workshop
SPSS On-Line Training Workshop by Dr.Carl Lee, Dr Felix Famoye and Joyce Sharp from Central Michigan University. This is a very comprehensive tutorial which assumes no prior knowledge of SPSS. About 40 Quick Time movies are used to cover most SPSS topics. A fast internet connection is recommended.
Resourses at UCLA
Resources to Help you Learn and Use SPSS by UCLA's Academic Technology Services
This is another great site to learn how to use SPSS's menus and syntax. There are:
- Technical reports
- Learning Modules
- Fundamentals of Using SPSS,
- Reading Raw Data,
- Basic Data Management,
- Intermediate Data Management.
- Textbook Examples,
- Regressions with SPSS.
Statnotes: an Online Textbook
Statnotes: An Online Textbook by G. David Garson, North Carolina State University.
This site contains many topics such as ANOVA, ANCOVA, Cluster Analysis, Correlation, Correspondence Analysis, Logistic Regression, Logit, Probit models, etc. with SPSS related examples. Each topic includes a description of Key Concepts and Terms, Assumptions, FAQ and Bibliography.
SPSS Course Content by Lee A. Becker, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs
Very detailed and well done. Covers:
- Data Definition,
- Descriptive Statistics,
- Statistical notes on Scales of measurement and Confidence Intervals
- Data and File transformations
- Crosstabulations and Measure of Associations
- Differences between two groups (t-test and NPAR test)
- ANOVA: between Subjects (1-way, 2-way, 3-way, SME and unequal ns)
- ANOVA: Repeated Measures (1-way, 1-way and 1-between, 2-way and 1-between
Psychology Statistics and Methods
Psychology Statistics and Methods by Jan Frijters, University of Guelph.
Statistiche Datenanalyse mit SPSS für Windows
Statistiche Datenanalyse mit SPSS für Windows (pdf 85 Seiten) Universität Osnabrück - Rechenzentrum
Specialized SPSS Tutorials or Technical Papers
- Example of Survey Analysis using SPSS by Leeds Metropolitan University Learning Support Services (no longer available)
- Statistics on Likert Scale Surveys from SPSS Techniques Series
- Practical Analysis of Nutritional Data (P.A.N.D.A) by the university of Tulane. Has pages on Using data, Data cleaning, One-way, Two-way and Multi-way Analysis, Sub modules, Assess your understanding, Kenya Real World Analysis. Each section has "test yourself" exercises.
- Pitfalls of Data Analysis (or How to Avoid Lies and Damned Lies) by Clay Helberg, M.S. Mr. Helberg was formerly with the University of Wisconsin but is now with SPSS.
- Selection bias and the Heckman two-step procedure by Jeroen Smits from Nijmegen University. Downloadable papers on that subject including instructions on how to perform this procedure with SPSS.
- Heteroscedasticity Testing and correcting in SPSS A detailed 32 page pdf document (533 kb) written by Gwilym Pryce from Glasgow University. Contains references.
- Models for Binary Outcomes. An extensive document by Choong-Geun Chung, Indiana University (available in HTML, pdf or web-based tutorial form) covering the following: Logistic Regression with SPSS
Probit Regression with SPSS
Multinominal Logit Regression (GENLOG procedure)
Conditional Logistic Regression (COXREG procedure)
- Exploratory Factor Analysis A 500 page downloadable book manuscript by Ledyard Tucker (U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign) and Robert MacCallum (University of North Carolina)
- Logistic regression and discriminant analysis By Stephen Lea, University of Exeter, Dept. of Psychology. This covers the theory, practice, interpretation and reporting of logistic regression results.
- Correspondance Analysis By François-Xavier Micheloud, Pully. The document is available in English and in French. Ce document est disponible en anglais et en français.
- SPSS Paper Examples by the UCLA. This page contains data files and SPSS syntax to reproduced the analysis done in the paper "Using SAS Proc Mixed to Fit Multilevel Models, Hierarchical Models, and Individual Growth Models by Judith Singer. The original paper is available for download.
- Meta-analysis stuff by David B. Wilson, George Mason University, this page contains a powerpoint presentation, SPSS macros and sample SPSS outputs.
Other sources of SPSS syntax or scripts
Brien O'Connor`s Page
Brien O'Connor`s Main Page (from Lakehead University) contains the following syntax files: (thanks to Paul Ginns for bringing this to my attention)
- SIMPLE: All-in-One Programs for Exploring Interactions in Moderated Multiple Regressions
- Simple and Flexible SAS and SPSS Programs for Analyzing Lag-Sequential Categorical Data
- SPSS and SAS Programs for Determinating the Number of Components using Parallel Analysis and Velicer's MAP test
- EXTENSION: SAS, SPSS and MATLAB Programs for Extension Analysis